An Automation Engineer utilizes technology to improve, streamline and automate a manufacturing process. They are responsible for planning, implementation, and monitoring of such technology.
Let’s take a closer look at the details of automation and the role of an Automation Engineer.
What is an Automation Engineer?
An Automation Engineer uses technology to oversee or manage the manufacturing process. The aim of this is technology is to streamline the manufacturing process to make it as efficient as possible while still maintaining product quality and adhering to internal protocols and external regulations.
For any relevant step in the manufacturing process, an Automation Engineer can be tasked with designing, simulating, installing, testing and managing an electrical or mechanical automation. This automation will typically result in a machine or robotic element carrying out the process.
Automation Engineering is a vital part of today’s pharmaceutical and medical device industries as it promotes streamlining of processes, which can lead to a more cost-effective and efficient system.
What Does an Automation Engineer Do?
Automation Engineers develop and apply the technological principles needed to control or monitor the manufacturing process. They can be involved in developing and designing the concept, testing, installation, and monitoring of automation processes.
Safety of the facility and its staff as well as product quality, are key concerns of professionals in this area. All automation work has to adhere to internal company SOPs, as well as external industry regulations.
The specific skills and knowledge needed will vary widely between roles depending on the manufacturing processes involved and the product being produced. General tasks can include:
- Identification of new opportunities for automation within the manufacturing process
- Management of a project team
- Designing new automation equipment or processes
- Simulating and testing these processes or equipment to ensure they function as desired
- Writing reports for senior colleagues outlining new concepts, testing outcomes, and ongoing efficiency
- Programming new automated components to the manufacturing process
- Developing and maintaining clear and accurate documentation of automation equipment or processes
- Staff training where necessary – typically after implementing new processes or equipment, or making changes to existing ones
- Troubleshooting automated processes or equipment when errors occur
Becoming an Automation Engineer
A Bachelors degree in a automation, process control or electrical engineering is the typical entry route into Automation Engineering roles. There are more specialized qualifications available for individuals within the field or those who are looking to supplement a less relevant base qualification.
Computer System Validation Course
If you’re an Automation Engineer who works or wants to work in Pharma/MedTech, check out our Computer System Validation program and go rapidly from total beginner to an advanced level CSV expert.
Check out our 10-Week Computer Systems Validation Course.
SALARY RANGE of US$35,000 – 80,000 based on US job data.
Take this course and retrain to work in the growing pharmaceutical and medical device industry.
What Skills Do I Need?
The ideal skill set for someone moving into Automation Engineering roles includes:
- Excellent computer skills – particularly in programming and software development. Many aspects of the role of an Automation Engineer require the use of a computer
- Communication skills – will need to be able to explain novel and complex ideas to stakeholders of all levels and within multidisciplinary teams. Written communication skills will also be needed for record keeping and documentation, a key part of these regulated industries
- Problem-solving and creative thinking – will be required to troubleshoot problems as they arise and find effective solutions
- Organisational skills – to map out projects, prioritize workload and keep accurate documentation
- Flexibility & Adaptability – has to be able to keep up with latest techniques and technologies as they develop
Automation Engineer Salaries & Job Growth
Check out our salary guide for Automation Engineer salary information local to you.
Automation Engineer Resume Tips
As with all resumes, it’s extremely important that you tailor your Automation Engineer resume to reflect the language used within the job advert. Where you have relevant experience or skills, use the words and phrases that the employer has used to describe them. Do not assume that someone will read similar wording and know what you mean.
Automation Engineer roles will typically be looking for the skills previously outlined:
- Excellent computer skills
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving and creative thinking
- Organisational skills
- Flexibility & Adaptability
Automation Engineer Job Vacancies
For more information on currently available Automation Engineering roles, head to our jobs boards and select Engineering or Engineering Projects in the “Jobs by Category” menu. We currently have jobs boards for Ireland, the UK, and Philadelphia, USA.
22 Other Types of Pharma Job Roles
Got More Questions?
Call Geraldine: +1 (617) 901 9268
Call Sinead: +353 (0) 21 2409016