Aircraft Maintenance Engineers
As an aircraft maintenance engineer, you could consider applying for maintenance or plant engineering roles within the pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing sector. Engineering consultancies could also be another option.
You are going to need to take a course in GMPs and the air, steam and water systems used within the pharmaceutical industry to make safe medicines.
Another option would be to retrain for validation roles as your background in engineering design and interpreting technical drawings are highly relevant to this field.
Apart from the general “Maintenance Engineer” or “Plant Engineer” job titles, here are some typical job titles we often see advertised.
- Maintenance Systems Lead – ownership of all preventative and corrective works on plant utilities and equipment.
- Maintenance Planner – focus is on developing the company asset maintenance program and strategy.
- Lead Utilities Engineer – manage capital projects from inception to delivery and ensure plant availability is maximised.
- Clean Utilities Engineer – ownership of clean utilities systems including purified water, water for injection, clean steam, high quality compressed air, and nitrogen distribution.
- Facilities Engineer – ensure all preventative and corrective works on plant utilities and equipment are planned and executed.
You would have roughly 2 broad options to bolster your qualifications.
Retrain for maintenance engineering or facility engineer roles in pharmaceutical companies
Pharma needs purified water and clean air systems to manufacture safe medicines which are used for injections. These aseptic processes have to be designed, validated, monitored, maintained and updated in FDA regulated manufacturing facilities.
Here, you’d need to take the following programs
Take our 15-week online Conversion Course into Engineering Roles in Pharma to learn GMPs and how safe medicines are made in a regulated environment. You will also learn the air, water and steam systems that underpin aseptic/sterile processing.
You will receive a strong grounding in the modern pharmaceutical science and engineering concepts of the environmental controls (air) and clean utility systems design that underpin an aseptic manufacturing facility and the quality systems.
Then take our 10-Week Online Starter Validation program to learn how those systems are validated.
Retrain for validation roles in both pharmaceutical companies and engineering consultancies.
Take our 15-week online Starter Validation program and learn to populate an IQ OQ PQ Validation Protocol.
IQ OQ PQ Validation Protocols form a crucial part of pharmaceutical plant projects and having a fundamental understanding of how these protocols are put together and interpreted is a fundamental skillset of any engineer cross-training to work in this area.
(Note that actual job titles may vary – the distinction is more between who’d employ you and what type of projects you’d work on).