A Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is a type of software that allows you to improve lab productivity and efficiency by tracking a sample from the time it arrives in a laboratory through its testing and storage. This includes recording all data associated with the sample upon its initial accession, such as the sample’s ID, source, collection date, and other information (i.e. concentration, volume, and particulate amount).
As the lab sample progresses along its workflow, additional data is captured, which is also stored in the LIMS. This includes test results, derived sample data, and time-based study metrics. This system allows you to automate workflows, integrate instruments, and manage samples and associated information. Additionally, you can produce reliable results more quickly and can track data from tests over time and across experiments to improve efficiency.
On top of that, a LIMS system can:
- Standardised workflows which reduces human error and increases efficiency.
- Actively manage your entire lab process from instrument maintenance and samples to people and consumables.
- Centralise access and storage of quality control data
- Support your compliance efforts
- Initiate downstream data analysis
- Integrate with instruments or other lab systems to improve lab efficiency
If you’d like to read more on LIMS systems, check out the following link.