Production, manufacturing and industrial engineers bring a lot of strengths to this sector especially those with a strong background in the application of Lean Manufacturing principles.
The majority of roles tend to be in:
- medical device manufacturing as there is a much broader use of discrete manufacturing
- engineering consultancies also hire manufacturing production engineers into process optimisation consultancy roles
Pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical manufacturing will also have roles but the majority (but not all) tend to be concentrated around packaging operations (Think running a highly automated packaging line).
Another option would be to retrain for validation roles as your background in engineering design and interpreting technical drawings are relevant to this field.
For most roles though, you are going to benefit from some retraining, especially in GMPs and risk management techniques.
Apart from “Production Engineer”, “Manufacturing Engineer” and occasionally “Industrial Engineer”, we often see these job titles advertised.
- Production Process Engineer
- Operations Manager (Manufacturing)
- Operations Manager
- Production Manager
Now depending on the job description, (and this does vary widely), the following skills or experience could be a useful addition to your application.
- Knowledge of PLC and machine automation logic and automated process debugging.
- Competent in working in a validated environment with strong discipline with regard to change control and process validation.
- Know how to operate and manage production operations within a cleanroom environment.
So you would have roughly 2 broad options to bolster your application.
Retrain for production/manufacturing/operations roles within a GMP regulated manufacturing environment such a medical device or pharmaceutical manufacturing.
Take our 15-week online Conversion Course into Engineering Roles in Pharma to learn GMPs and how safe medicines and medical devices are made in a regulated environment. You will also learn the air, water and steam systems that underpin medical device manufacturing.
Retrain for validation roles for both pharmaceutical companies and engineering consultancies.
Take our Validation Training Course – For Starter Validation Roles and retrain for the following roles:
(Note that actual job titles may vary – the distinction is more between who’d employ you and what type of projects you’d work on).