The specific tasks of a Laboratory Technician can vary greatly depending on the laboratory they’re based in and the types of scientific work that is carried out there. Generally though, a Laboratory Technician will conduct the routine tasks required within laboratory, in support of the Laboratory Scientists.
All work must be carried out in strict accordance with both internal protocols and external regulations.
As examples, tasks may include:
- Preparing experiments
- Supervision of experiments as they run
- Taking precise and accurate notes of experiments and their results
- Sample preparation and testing
- Cleaning of lab equipment
- Routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment
- Mixing compounds during the manufacturing process
- Write reports on lab-based activities
- Supervision of junior laboratory staff
- Liaising with laboratory suppliers as required