What is a Production Supervisor?
A Production Supervisor is directly responsible for overseeing and organizing the equipment, staff, and processes on a production floor. They will oversee scheduling and routine production activities as well as acting as the first line of support for troubleshooting should problems arise.
Some Companies Might Call This Role…
- Process Supervisor
- Manufacturing Supervisor
Production Supervision is the first line of management of a production team. It is primarily concerned with keeping a production line operational and maintaining the ongoing production of the end product. The goal is to maximise production up-time while maintaining product quality and staff safety.
Production Supervision will typically involve management of production staff as well as first-line troubleshooting of equipment and processes within the manufacturing facility.
What Does a Production Supervisor do?
Much of a Production Supervisor’s time will be spent directly with the production team. In addition, they will have office-based duties to complete. In pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing, maintaining product quality is paramount.
The specific duties of a production supervisor will change depending on the product and the method of production but, in general, responsibilities may include:
- Planning the production schedule
- Management of the production team – including hiring, appraising, training and disciplining when necessary
- Assigns production tasks to team members taking account of production needs and individual capabilities
- Collects data and compiles reports about production
- Ensures all documentation necessary for regulatory compliance is completed accurately
- Troubleshoots issues with equipment or machinery
- Conduct reviews of the production processes to try to identify areas for improvements
- Ensure production processes are being carried out in line with company and regulatory requirements
- Ensures production team has access to all relevant raw materials and equipment – ensure the smooth running of production
- Will work with specialist teams (such as validation or quality) to ensure that production team and equipment are fully compliant and up-to-date with training
- Ensuring production downtime is kept to a minimum
Becoming a Production Supervisor
Production Supervisors will typically have several years experience in production – usually within the same industry (this is especially true in highly regulated industries such as pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing). While school-level qualifications may be enough when coupled with strong employment experience, preference might well be given to candidates who have a higher level of education (especially in science, engineering or business). Although there are plenty of exceptions.
Production Supervisor in Pharma
If you want to know more about making a mid-career change into this area, check out our 37-week Certificate in eBioPharmaChem program which is university accredited.
What Skills Do I Need?
The skills needed to be an effective Production Supervisor include:
- Organisational Skills – for tasks such as planning the production schedule and making sure all necessary materials and equipment are available to the production team when needed
- Problem Solving Abilities – needs to be able to quickly assess production issues and establish the best course of action
- Analytical Skills – must be able to spot problems within the manufacturing process quickly and take appropriate action to rectify. Also responsible for ensuring that the production team has access to all the necessary skills and equipment at the appropriate times
- Time Management – has to ensure that their production team is working in the most time-efficient way and with the least downtime possible, to maintain production output while still maintaining staff safety and product quality
- Decision-Making Abilities – must be able to make decisions quickly, under pressure, after careful assessment of all available information
- Communication Skills – has to be able to clearly and concisely deliver instructions to the production team. Must also be able to deal with team-management issues quickly and effectively
Production Supervisor Salaries and Job Growth
Check out our salary guide for Production Supervisor salary information local to you.
Production Supervisor Resume Tips
As with all resumes, it’s extremely important that you tailor your Production Supervisor resume to reflect the language used within the job advert. Where you have relevant experience or skills, use the words and phrases that the employer has used to describe them. Do not assume that someone will read similar wording and know what you mean.
Production Supervisor roles will typically be looking for the skills previously outlined:
- Organisational Skills
- Problem Solving Abilities
- Analytical Skills
- Time Management
- Decision-Making Abilities
- Communication Skills
For more help with your resume, check out these templates and this list of 30 tips to improve your resume.
Production Supervisor Job Vacancies
For a list of currently available Production Supervisor roles within pharmaceutical manufacturing, head to our pharmaceutical jobs board for Ireland and our pharmaceutical jobs board for the UK and select Production/Manufacturing in the “Jobs by Category” menu.
22 Other Types of Pharma Job Roles
Our Most Popular Programs and Courses
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) Training Course
- Equipment Validation Training Course – for starter validation, CQV and C&Q roles
- Pharmaceutical Validation Training Course – for more senior validation, CQV and C&Q roles
- Computer System Validation Training Course
- View All 13 Online Pharmaceutical Courses
About the Authors
Head of Marketing & Product Development
Donagh looks after the marketing and product development including the training and pedagogical elements of our programs and makes sure that all GetReskilled’s users can have a great online learning experience. Donagh has lived and worked in many countries including Ireland, America, the UK, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan where he managed to pick up the language. Donagh has also served as the Program Manager for the Farmleigh Fellowship based out of Singapore.
Donagh holds Degrees in Production Engineering and Mechanical Engineering from South East Technological University, Ireland.
Content Marketing and Career Coaching
Claire runs GetReskilled’s Advanced Career Coaching Programme – our specially devised job hunting course that helps our trainees take that final step into employment by leading them through the job hunting process. She is extremely enthusiastic about helping people reach their final goal of employment in their new career path.
Claire has a BSc (Hons) in Medical Biology from Edinburgh University and spent 7 years working in the pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
Post Your Comments Below