Science Job Descriptions & Salaries
View our pharmaceutical job descriptions and salary guide and see which position is best for you along with your estimated starting salary.
Job description – Will plan, organise and execute experimental work relevant to improvement of manufacturing processes as well as testing of materials at many stages (i.e. raw materials, intermediaries etc.). Have direct input in scaling-up processes from laboratory to plant-size manufacture.
- 0-3 years: 25,000 – 30,000
- 3-5 years: 35,000 – 40,000
- 5+ years: 45,000+
- 0-3 years: 16,000 – 22,000
- 3-5 years: 24,000 – 35,000
- 5+ years: 45,000 +
Ideal background – Honours degree in chemistry, laboratory work experience, good awareness of working protocols and procedures within the industry.
Career path – Senior Chemist > Laboratory Manager > Quality Director
Job description – Duties include sampling, testing and analysing of materials from all stages of manufacture process within a laboratory environment. They may also have data input and laboratory equipment calibration and maintenance responsibilities.
Ideal background – Qualification in chemical process technology/bio-process technology or similar, previous experience in chemical/microbiological techniques, good working knowledge of relevant protocols and regulations.
Career path – Senior Laboratory Analyst > Supervisor > Assistant Chemist
Job description – Provide all technical support for functioning of the lab, assists in handling and maintaining lab equipment, collecting and analyzing data, and performing routine laboratory work. Adherence to protocols and procedures is extremely important. Often carrying out routine tasks but must be to a very high standard. The Technician’s primary duty is to ensure that a quality product is produced within a controlled environment.
This role is engaged in different testing methodologies, ranging from microbiology and molecular biology to the latest analytical chemistry techniques. Inspection of QC materials and/or production raw materials, as well as environmental and raw material sampling in accordance with cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) and company procedures will form integral aspects of this position.
The Technician will also oversee the necessary documentation, including logbooks, test requests preparation and sample distribution as well as discarding old samples and hazardous waste from the laboratory and perform housekeeping tasks.
- 0-3 years: 25,000 – 30,000
- 3-5 years: 30,000 – 35,000
- 5+ years: 35,000 – 38,000
- 0-3 years: 13,500 – 19,000
- 3-5 years: 20,000 – 25,000
- 5+ years: 30,000 – 40,000
Ideal background – High school level education in science subjects, HND/degree may be of benefit. Prior lab experience extremely beneficial.
Career path – Senior Laboratory Technician > Team Leader Technician > Laboratory Manager
- Sigmar Recruitment Medical Devices Salary Guide 2016 http://www.sigmarrecruitment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Sigmar-Recruitment-Salary-Guide-2016-Medical-Devices-Division.pdf
- Sigmar Recruitment Life Sciences Salary Guide 2016 http://www.sigmarrecruitment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Sigmar-Recruitment-Salary-Guide-2016-Science-Division.pdf
- Sigmar Recruitment Engineering Salary Guide 2016 http://www.sigmarrecruitment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Sigmar-Recruitment-Salary-Guide-2016-Engineering-Division.pdf
- Sigmar Recruitment Supply Chain Salary Guide 2016 http://www.sigmarrecruitment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Sigmar-Recruitment-Salary-Guide-2016-Supply-Chain-Division.pdf
- Morgan McKinley 2016 Engineering Salary & Benefits Guide http://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/2016-engineering-salary-benefits-guide
- Morgan McKinley 2016 Supply Chain Salary & Benefits Guide http://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/supply-chain-2016-salary-survey-benefits-guide
- Morgan McKinley 2016 Science Salary & Benefits Guide http://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/2016-science-salary-benefits-guide
- Brightwater Salary Survey 2016 http://www.brightwater.ie/docs/default-source/salary-surveys/salary-survey-2016/brightwater-salary-survey-2016.pdf?sfvrsn=4
Clinical Professionals Pharmaceutical Salary Survey Results 2012/13 (seen at http://www.slideshare.net/ElysiaCP/pharmaceutical-salary-survey-2012-2013)
To fill gaps in all –
Interested in a Well Paid Career in Pharma?
Take our eBioPharmaChem course (FREE for Unemployed people in Ireland who qualify under the Springboard Scheme) to help you quickly re-skill into this sector.