Manufacturing Safe Medicines and Medical Devices (GMP) – Individual Topic Descriptors
Industry Regulations & Guidelines – 2 Weeks
Session 1 – (4 Topics)
- Topic-1 Finished Medicinal Products
In this lesson, we learn about medical products and the various ways drug products are administered.
- Topic-2 Focus on Patient Safety and Product Quality
In this lesson, we will develop a deeper understanding of the importance of patient safety and product quality for medicines and medical devices.
- Topic-3 ISO9001:2008
This lesson is about the key requirements of a quality management system.
- Topic -4 Product Quality and Current Good Manufacturing Practices [ cGMP ]
In this lesson, we learn how to scientifically define product quality. This lesson also gives an insight into the high-level principles of current good manufacturing practices (cGMP).
Session 2 – (5 Topics)
- Topic -5 API Regulatory Guidelines
In this lesson, we describe the characteristics of a GMP that can be followed to manufacture an API.
- Topic-6 ISO-9001 ‘Continual Improvement’ & ICH Q10 Pharmaceutical Quality System
This lesson explains the concept of ‘continual improvement’ as part of a company’s quality management system and describes an effective corrective action process and a preventive action process (CAPA). It also gives details on the product-lifecycle for a pharmaceutical product and describes the monitoring of process performance and product quality.
- Topic-7 Quality Systems Approach to Pharmaceutical cGMP Regulations-The Quality Systems Mode
In this lesson, we describe a quality system model in accordance with management responsibilities, resources, manufacturing operations, and evaluation activities.
- Topic-8 FDAMedicalDeviceRules-CFR820
In this lesson, we look at how the FDA classifies medical devices and explore the basis of that classification system.
- Topic-9 Medical Device Regulations and Guidelines – ISO 13485 / CFR 820
In this lesson, we look at some GMP regulatory and ISO guidance documents that are associated with the manufacture of medical devices.
Process Validation and Documentation – 2 Weeks
Session 3 – (4 Topics)
- Topic-1 Process Validation
In this lesson, we will learn about the various definitions of ‘validation’, as well as for ‘commissioning’, ‘qualification’ and ‘verification.
- Topic-2 ASTME2500 – Standard Guide for Specification, Design and Verification
In this lesson, we will describe a specification, design, and verification approach for equipment systems associated with the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical and medical device industries.
- Topic-3 PQ,OQ and IQ
In this lesson, we are going to define the terms installation qualification (IQ), operational qualification (OQ) and performance qualification (PQ), and we will also list what typical project design documents are required to prepare such testing protocols.
- Topic-4 Cleaning Validation
This class takes a high-level look at a typical cleaning validation sequence. It looks at how to determine the basis for quantification limits and explains how to determine cleanliness levels on the basis of the analytical testing of representative samples. Sampling is described in terms of sampling-equipment, sampling -locations, and sampling –procedures.
Session 4 – (4 Topics)
- Topic-5 Introduction to Quality Risk Management (QRM)
In this lesson, we will develop an understanding of the history and the crucial importance of risk management as well as the basic steps involved in its application.
- Topic -6 Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) – step 4 ‘Workshop’ exercise
In this lesson, we learn about the risk management tool ‘Fault Tree Analysis’ and see an example of where and how we can use it.
- Topic -7 Failure Mode, Effects (and Criticality) Analysis (FMEA / FMEAC) – Step 4 ‘Workshop’ exercise
- This presentation shows an example of the main steps in performing a ‘Failure Mode, Effects Analysis’ (FMEA) and describes how this risk management technique summarizes the important modes of (a) failure, (b) factors causing these failures, and (c) the likely effects of these failures.
- Topic-8 Documenting the Quality Risk Management Process
In this lesson, we take a practical look at managing a complete risk management process in terms of identifying risk, analyzing risk, evaluating risk, and controlling risk.
Key Manufacturing Technologies – 2 Weeks
Session 5 – (2 Topics)
- Topic-1 Batch Organic Chemical Synthesis
In this lesson, we describe the typical equipment and process stages of the manufacture of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) using batch organic chemistry synthesis
- Topic-2 Biopharmaceuticals Manufacturing, Upstream, Fermentation
This lesson describes a conventional biotechnological process and introduces the following process sequences:
- Stage-I – Upstream Processing
- Stage-II – Fermentation / Bio-reaction
- Stage-III – Downstream Processing
Session 6 – (2 Topics)
- Topic -3 Tablet Manufacturing
In this lesson, we will explore the critical process parameters and quality attributes associated with the manufacture of medicinal tablets.
- Topic -4 Aseptic & Sterile Manufacturing
In this lesson, we look at critical process parameters and quality attributes associated with aseptic processing and terminal sterilization products for parenteral products.
Supporting Technologies – 2 Weeks
Session 7 – (5 Topics)
- Topic-1 Purified Water (PUW) Generation, Storage and Distribution
2-6-1, 2-6-2, 2-6-3 In these presentations we look at methodologies to generate, store and distribute pharmacopeia grade purified water (PUW).
- Topic -2 Clean Steam Generators – 2 videos
3-5-1, 3-5-2 the objective of this lesson is to demonstrate how we produce clean steam using ‘Single-Effect Distillation’ ‘Multiple-Effect Distillation
- Topic -3 WFI Storage and Distribution
In this lesson, we take a look at a process for the storage and distribution of pharmacopeia grade water for injection (WFI) and how to maintain its specification
- Topic -4 Engineering Aspects of Cleaning, and Cleaning Equipment
This class discusses how to clean and decontaminate surfaces using CIP (clean-in-place), agitated Immersion, static Immersion (Soaking), and automated parts washers, ultrasonic cleaning, high-pressure spraying, and manual cleaning
- Topic-5 Chemistry Aspects of Cleaning
This lesson explores chemistry aspects of cleaning in terms of solubility, solubilisation, emulsification, dispersion, wetting, hydrolysis, oxidation and physical removal.
Session 8 – (6 Topics)
- Topic -6 Steam Sterilization in Place
In this lesson, we look at the mechanism behind sterilization of process equipment using saturated steam.
- Topic-7 HVAC Requirements for Non-Sterile API Manufacturing
In this lesson, we look at how to use airflow direction as a means of a containment barrier between
operational areas in a non-sterile multi-product active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) manufacturing facility.
- Topic-8 Cleanroom Layout–2 videos
4-3-1, 4-3-2, In these presentations, we take a high-level look at a common cleanroom configuration and discuss items
such as airflow direction, filter arrangements, cleanroom garments, and personnel and material flows. Another objective of this lesson is to also gain an understanding of personnel and material flows in a controlled airflow environment designed to contain high potency chemicals.
- Topic -9 Area Classification Protection
In this lesson, we observe a range of airlock configurations typically used in combination with safety under operational conditions to maintain the specification of critical environmental zones, such as those used in open processing, that have a major impact on product quality and patient.
- Topic -10 Cleanroom Gowning
In this lesson, we describe clothing that will minimize dispersion from skin and clothing for personnel working within a cleanroom environment
- Topic -11 Cleanroom Monitoring – Physical Tests
In this lesson we discuss typical physical tests to monitor cleanroom environments: non-viable particle counts, pressure differentials, airflow velocity, air change rate, and filter integrity testing.